Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Probably the Best Chocolate Cake in the World!

I would like to share this recipe with everyone as it is by far the best chocolate sponge cake I have ever tasted. It was handed down to me, handwritten in a recipe notebook from my mother. Given that this was the woman who taught me how to bake and who never showed me this, I think it was a recipe she had come across but never actually used. Such a shame!

I must admit that when I first read the ingredients list I was a bit dubious but I gave it a go and have never looked back - it is far superior to your standard chocolate sponge.

It is so incredibly simple and easy to do yet produces such a deliciously moist chocolate cake. I now use this recipe for all birthdays in our family and think it deserves a wider appreciation. Give it a try and I hope you'll agree.

It was written in imperial measurements but I have converted them to metric; I am aware that Americans tend to use a 'cup' system but I don't know how to convert to this so apologies.
225g flour (you can use plain but I normally use self-raising 275g castor sugar 1 teaspoon (5ml) bicarbonate of soda pinch of salt 50g cocoa powder 2 large eggs (room temp) 110g soft margarine or butter (room temp) 150ml sour cream (room temp)

Preheat your oven to 160degrees C / Gas Mark 3 Sift together the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate together into a large bowl Stir in sugar and salt Add in the eggs,margarine and sour cream. Beat until light and smooth (I use an electric mixer at this stage to ensure the right consistency with ease). Pour into well greased tin(s) - I either use 2 standard sandwich cake tins (approx 17cm diameter x 2cm deep) or a single large silicon circular cake mould (approx 23cm diameter x 5cm deep). Bake for 35-45mins in the centre of the oven. The cake is cooked when the top is firm but springs back when gently pushed.

How you decorate it is up to you (I'm a huge fan of buttercream) but here are some tips to maximise your choccy-delight!

* When cooked in standard tins give them 5mins to cool before turning them out onto cooling rack

* When using silicon tins let the cake cool in the mould then turn out (it's just easier this way)

* Ideally this cake should be baked the day before you intend to ice it so that it's firmer and less likely to crumble but if you can't do this you can get the same effect by sticking it in an airtight bag (or cling film) and pop it in the freezer for an hour or two.

I hope you try this and agree that it is an outstanding chocolate cake and yet surprisingly simple. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment